Water usage during the summer can increase as much as 50%.
Thankfully, there are some easy ways to reduce your water consumption, even during the summer.
To keep your water bill low, consider these indoor water saving tips:
- Take shorter showers and install water-saving shower heads.
- Watch your taps for drips or leaks and repair them right away. If you're renting, notify your landlord immediately.
- Run your dishwasher at night (to avoid heating up your kitchen through the day) and only when you have a full load.
- Scrape your dishes instead of pre-rinsing them before adding them to the dishwasher.
- When washing dishes by hand, fill a clean basin with warm water to rinse dishes rather than running the tap.
It's easy to save water outdoors too:
- When watering your lawn or garden, only run the sprinkler during the early mornings or in the evenings to reduce the amount of water being evaporated by the sun.
- Instead of having a full lawn, dig some up to make a succulent garden. Succulents don't need much water and these hardy plants won't die off at the end of the season.
- Installing pathways and patios will reduce the amount of lawn to water and cut. These are also great additions to make when trying to increase the value to your home.
- Spread mulch over the soil in any garden to retain moisture and reduce the amount of watering needed.
- Don't keep your lawn clipped too short. Longer grass will shade the roots and prevent them from drying out.
- When setting up the sprinkler for the kids to play in, choose an area of your yard that really needs watering.
Looking for a more efficient home or a beautiful new apartment? Platinum Realty and Management can help, contact us today!