Planning to leave your apartment for an upcoming vacation?
Platinum Realty & Management has some vacation preparation tips that will help you secure your apartment and avoid worrying while you're away.
Remember to notify key people and services before your upcoming trip:
- Let your landlord know when you're leaving for vacation and how long you'll be gone. Also provide emergency contact information in case a problem arises while you're away.
- Schedule automatic bank payments for any bills or rent due during your vacation.
- Set up the Hold Mail service at the post office.
- Notify your credit card company of your upcoming trip, especially if you're going to be in a different country making purchases.
- Visit your doctor for any necessary vaccinations.
- Leave contact information with a trusted person in case of emergency.
When it's time to start packing, try these tips and tricks:
- Make a packing list so you don't forget anything important. Then, pack the list to ensure all of your important items make it back into your suitcase.
- Keep your luggage light by packing items you can wear more than once, limiting your 'just in case' items, and checking with the hotel to see what they can provide for you.
- Roll clothes to save space and pack your liquids in a resealable plastic bag.
- Leave room in your suitcase for any vacation purchases.
Come home to a clean apartment by using a few of these helpful tips:
- Remove perishable foods from the fridge and food from your counters that may spoil while you're away. Don't forget to clean out the coffee grounds in the coffee maker!
- Take out the garbage and recycling before you leave.
- Change the sheets on the beds, put out fresh towels, and do the laundry before you leave.
- Consider cooking a few meals and freezing them to give you a couple of quick meals when you return.
- When leaving an empty apartment, turn out all the lights, close and lock all windows and doors, and reduce the thermostat so your heat or air conditioning only runs minimally.
Concerned about leaving an empty apartment? We are happy to answer any of your questions!